Friday, February 29, 2008

We Left Our Hearts in Parma and Our Money in Modena




Scott showed up with another hour internet card and it will be 30 minutes before our pizza arrives so I can write more.
Today (in an effort to escape Bologna) we took the train to Parma and Modena. As soom as we got off the train in Parma, I knew I would love it. Slow, laid back, small enough to walk everywhere. A university town (a small university, unlike Bologna, which houses the oldest university in Europe), the youthfulness is palpable. Shopped at an open air market, got many packets of seeds of classic Italian vegetables-radicchio, rape, mache, tomatoes, eggplant. Ate one of the best restaurant meals yet-Scott had pumpkin ravioli and I had tagliatelle with porcini mushrooms. Stunning! We walked and walked and had a great time. The open air fruit and vegetable market was a work of art and I longed to buy armloads and find a kitchen. I made Scott take pictures.
Took the train to Modena and went and sat in a park with ducks, geese and chickens(?). It was so nice and quiet. Then we went shopping in earnest. I found some amazing boots half price (it is the end of the season on boots and I have been drooling over them since we arrived) and Scott got some cool shoes...I had to talk him into them, but it wasn't hard. He is a worse "shoe horse" than I am! We found some stuff for the kids and then went to a shop specializing in balsamic vinegar. It was like a fine wine shop. We were given tiny spoons and tastes of 5 different vinegars, from 3 years old to 20 years old. They got sweeter and sweeter the older it got until the 20 year old had no acid taste at all and was like syrup you would use over fruit or ice cream. Needless to say we bought a few bottles (an 8 year old and a 15 year old) for our personal stash at home. By the time we left Modena our pockets were just about empty (we made sure to leave enough for the train ride to Bologna), but our hearts were full. I loved Parma and if we look to be anywhere for a good block of time (like to live for awhile) Parma gets my vote at this point.
Well, dinner is here and we still have packing to do, so I will sign off. We miss everyone, but am having such a relaxing (mostly) and lovely time.

No comments: