Saturday, March 1, 2008

We Have Landed in Heaven!

After Bologna, the Gods have smiled on us! Our hotel here in Florence is one block from the train station, on a lively and busy street. No hauling our bags on and off busses and the train station had no stairs so we could roll our bag dolly {one of the best purchases we have made} all the way from the train to our hotel. It is the 4th floor of an old building and run by a young man named Marco. He reminds me so much of Emilio, the husband of Laurel, same friendly, outgoing attitude, ready to accomodate and have a good time. When we hauled all our "stuff" up here and they showed us our room, I almost fell to my knees! A double bed! The first we've seen in Italy! And the room is large! And comes with a computer with internet {and it is free...we have paid dearly for internet access}! And they have a washer and dryer for us to use! AND A KITCHEN!!! I can go to the magnificent market they told us about and buy produce and COOK!! We immediately asked for 2 more nights in addition to the 3 we have already booked. Now THIS feels like a honeymoon! And we are done doing motorcycle stuff, so no appointments to make, no one in particular to see, just Scott and I and TIME to ourselves.
The train ride from Bologna to Florence was spectacular...like coming from San Antonio {flat and non descript} to the Hill Country with terraced rolling hills filled with olive trees. It was like every picture you have seen of Tuscany and I was immediately smitten!
Scott had splurged and bought 1st class tickets so we had room to stretch out and drink service. So nice! If you had asked me yesterday {or two nights ago when they kicked us off the bus because it had no where else to go}, I might have said, "Okay, I am ready to come home..." but now I want to stay here forever!!

No comments: