Thursday, April 3, 2008

A Lovely Birthday

Had to work this morning...I believe this is Day22 since we returned from Italy and I have not yet had a day off. Last week was especially hectic with work in the mornings at Hoffman Haus, then running home to change clothes and driving to San Antonio to teach. By the weekend I had laryngitis. Saturday was our 5th anniversary and I told Scott that I was giving him what every man secretly wants as a gift from his wife but would never ask: a day of her not speaking! I took a long nap that afternoon when I got off work and then made a wonderful dinner of Claudio's mothers' Seafood Pasta. I found Nocciola (Hazelnut) gelato at the grocery store...the REAL stuff-imported from Italy!...and then we took a walk to see our neighbor MaryAnn. It was a wonderful anniversary, even if I hardly spoke a word. But we did kiss alot!

So this morning I went to work as usual, fed the small group at the Inn and was heading out when here comes my sweet grandbaby Natalie across the Great Hall (the "meeting room" of Hoffman Haus) with a little ladybug balloon in her hand. "Gramma, here!" She handed me the balloon and then scrunched up her eyes a bit, trying to remember what she was going to say. Then she brightened and yelled, "Happy Birthday!!" What a very sweet moment. Marta gave me a hug and also wished me a happy birthday. We said good-bye to Martha and Courtney in the back offices (any opportunity to show off Natalie) and then we were off. After a quick stop at the grocery store for a bottle of Chianti, I headed home. Scott and I packed a quick lunch-boar salami and Parmesan we bought in Italy, some whole grain bread, 2 wine galsses, some goat cheese, pistachios, fresh organic strawberries, a bar of 85% chocolate and a tablecloth-and we drove away. It took us almost an hour and a half to get to Lost Maples State Natural Area in Vanderpool. The day was a bit dreary and overcast. a few times we had to use our wipers, but it never rained hard. The park was deserted for the most part, which was fine with me. We were starving and headed down to the Sabinal river to eat lunch at a picnic table perched on the bank. It drizzled a bit more, but we didn't care. We hauled our leftovers back to the car and found the trailhead. What a glorious walk we had! The entire park was in bloom! I never realized that there were so many Mountain Laurels up there! We were walking in a sea of grape perfume! About half way through the East Trail we started climbing...1.5 miles almost straight up. They have made crude (yet perfectly serviceable) rock steps out of the many boulders in the park and we kept stopping to catch our breath. Some of the boulders were thigh high on me, I kept telling myself how good lunges were for my legs as I huffed and puffed my way to the top. About 2/3's of the way, I got hot, so I took off my shirt. I was wearing a sports bra and it resembled a bathing suit top and, well, there was no one else on the trail and it felt so good! We walked and walked, stopped at streams and ponds to splash our faces, watched a blue heron catch fish in a creek, took pictures of wildflowers and scenery below from the highest points in the park. By the time we got back to the car about 3 1/2 hours later, our legs felt tired but strong and we were very happy. I almost fell asleep on the ride home I was so relaxed.
When we got home there was a key lime pie on the table with a note from Marta. We each grabbed a fork and dug in...no plates, just forks and we ate almost half of it (it was a SMALL pie). Yum!!

So now here I am- 50 years old. I remember a time in my early 30's when life was particularly tough. I was raising the 3 girls alone and felt quite discouraged about how difficult life was. A thought popped into my head"...just wait till you are 50!" I don't know why it cheered me but it did and I have held on to that thought for about 17 years. And here it is. I have reached this day and it is a good one. I feel healthy, strong and extremely happy. I don't think that 17 years ago I could've envisioned HOW good my life would be at 50. I never knew this could be possible. I am blessed.

No comments: